Monday, December 15, 2008

71st Birthday

Today is Mom's birthday and she had her 1st dose of radiation. Yesterday 5 of her girlfriends from high school came and surprised her for her 71st. They brought all of the food, cake & ice cream and lots of laughter. Mom was so happy, she cried. Happy tears for once. They had such a wonderful time laughing and carrying on.

All Mom had to do was sit and enjoy herself. Britt, Dad & I took care of the clean-up. There was such great positive energy in the house! After everyone left, Britt, Mom & I created some home-made Christmas ornaments. Mom & I had Britt laughing, as we are so NOT creative when painting/decorating ornaments. Mom chose a 4 leaf clover that she could paint green. I chose a snowflake and 2 ribbons that I painted pink for breast cancer awareness. That was the extent of my artistry. Paint. Oh and I glued some gemstones on my snowflake, but that was Brittany's idea. We had fun, anyhow.

I called Mom to see how radiation went and she said the Dr. and staff members sang Happy Birthday to her. She was so excited. Those exceptional individuals who work with cancer patients are so compassionate and caring. Mom has had many wonderful doctors, nurses, etc. during this entire ordeal. They have made the road much easier to travel.

Not sure what we are going to do for her birthday tonight. She was going to cook herself and I said no way! I had jury duty this morning, so I wasn't sure if I would be picked for a jury or not; I ended up being dismissed at 10:30 AM today, but have to go back tomorrow. To make a long story short, I didn't know if I would be home to take her out to dinner, but as jury duty is no longer a worry today, she shall get treated to dinner out. I would say she is deserving of that. :)

Brittany is home for the holidays and that makes the house a happier place, as well. She brightens her grandmother's days so much. I don't know if she realizes it or not, but Mom's world revolves around her. We may not be opening many gifts this year, but we have received the greatest gift of all and that is Mom's life and health.

Tomorrow Mom goes to Cranberry to get fitted for her fake boob and mastectomy bras. That is my birthday/Christmas gift to her; covering that cost.

I will keep you updated as to how radiation is going.

A very special thank you to my forever best friend, Stritz, for sending my mom a funny book and letting her know she cares. It was so nice talking to Lori. We have been friends since kindergarten; she lives in Pittsburgh and we don't keep in touch near as often as we should. However, I think about her every day and love her like a sister. Thanks, Lor. You are an angel.

Until next time,

keep Mom in your prayers.

Mo

No comments: